Maybe you are like me when it comes to downtime. I enjoy it, but it’s best in small doses. I am like a dog that needs to be kept busy, otherwise they just might tear up the house (ha)! In between the daily to do list, potty training, bill paying, house cleaning, and normal life activities, I need a few fun projects to fit here and there. Beyond just the time when I don’t have much to do, I also have a need for a creative outlet. I need a bone to gnaw on, continuing with the dog analogy.
Over the last few years, those projects have often been from the house decorating/updating category. 2020 gave me ample time to repaint kitchen cabinets, regrout our master tub and shower, repaint the bathroom cabinets, and repaint many walls. These projects have usually been more involved, more time consuming, and more expensive than what I originally thought (like my husband said they would be hehe) but I’m still glad they were done.
This year, however, I am running out of big project ideas that are reasonably within my wheelhouse, so it looks like I’ll be doing little updates here and there rather than big updates. The most recent changes have been to our bathrooms. I don’t know about you, but our family seems to spend a lot of time there, so I think they should look more inviting.
When we first moved into our house, it was obvious that the house needed a bit of TLC. It was just a little rough around the edges in spots. Two of these spots were the kitchen and master bathroom cabinets. They were a medium walnut color (not bad, but not my favorite), but they were all scratched up and needed a really good cleaning.
I decided to paint the kitchen cabinets white to give a light and airy feel. They turned out nicely, and I am still thrilled that it was done. The cabinets in the master bath needed to stay a darker color due to the color of the tile in the bathroom, so I went with black. These also turned out well, and black hides a lot, which is appreciated with a toddler.
I wish I had taken a picture of the bathrooms before I started messing with them, but alas, I didn’t.
Anyhow, a few months later, I wanted to redo the caulking in our master shower, as it was in need of replacing. Unexpectedly, the grout started coming up with the caulk, so my quick recaulking project turned into a long regrouting project. Yikes. I would not recommend doing a high contrast grout as your first grouting project, but hey, live and learn. 95% of the project looks good, so I’ll have to be ok with the other 5%. Man, that was a job!
Now, why is it that whenever you finish a house project, another need appears? When the black grout went down, I realized how many different patterns we had in our bathroom. I would love to do a tile floor with a wood appearance in this bathroom, but that will have to wait for a while. For now, we will just have to be happy with the many lines and patterns in our bathroom. The larger mats cover the tile and tone it down a bit.
This past month I got around to hanging pictures, putting up shelves (with the hubby’s help), laying mats down, putting up towel hooks, and tidying up. I think this bathroom is done for now.
The guest bathroom was significantly less offensive when we first moved in. It was a quiet gray, and everything was in pretty good condition. That being said, it was just kind of bland.
A few weeks ago, I just felt a strong desire to paint the bathroom a sage green color, and that is what happened! The color is a bit strong, but I like it. I think it would pair well with wainscoting or a similar thing to tone down the effect of the green paint, but that will be for a later time. After new paint, a new shower curtain, new shelves, a new mirror, and a rearrangement of knick-knacks, and we have a new feeling bathroom! As you can see, we are potty training, so I’m sure that new room feel will wear off pretty quickly ;D. On to the next project (whatever that will be)!
What projects do you like to “gnaw” on when given an opportunity?